Welcome to Relaxed Redefined ~ a better, healthier way to care for chemically relaxed hair. This is a personal hair journal created to share easy, do-at-home tips and techniques that have made my hair stronger and longer. I hope you'll learn something here that will enhance your healthy hair journey or better yet insprire you to start one. Happy Hair Growting!

3.02.2010

Natural Care for Relaxed Hair, Part 1: All-Natural Hair Products

For me, one of the keys to improving the health of my hair has been changing or should I say upgrading the products I use. I try very hard not to become a product junkie, immediately running out to buy every well reviewed product I read about. But the knowledge I’ve gained about hair products and more importantly hair product ingredients has been a major part of my RR success. Knowing what not to use is just as important as knowing what works, and I’ve found what works for a lot of other people doesn't work for me.

A major reason I started Relaxed Redefined is to fill a void in the hair care blogosphere, while there are many sites on the internet where great advice on caring for relaxed hair can be found, most sites I’ve visited seem to have something missing—a focus on using all-natural products to care for relaxed hair. The way I see, the relaxer process alone is more than enough chemicals for one head of hair, so I am committed to using all-natural products in the rest of my hair care to help balance the impact of the relaxer. Traditional shampoos, conditioners and moisturizers are filled with harsh detergents, toxic preservatives and moisture blocking lubricants, all of which can and do hinder the health of relaxed hair, its pretty much the equivalent of your hair eating McDonalds every day—and we’ve all seen Super Size Me!

Our hair, just like the rest of the body thrives on natural ingredients, like water, fruits, vegetables, and natural protein sources. I’m not suggesting heading for the produce section for hair products—although that can work, but I have a list of great companies* that produce great all-natural products, so that shouldn’t be necessary.

Hairveda (hairveda.com)

About Them: A full line of handmade, Indian (as in the country) inspired products. Hairveda uses Indian herbs that help hair with loss, hair retention and add luster for textured hair. Full of great natural ingredients such as: Shea Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, Wheat Protein, and Citrus Oils just to name a few.

What I Think: I discovered Hairveda through reading another hair blog about a year ago and I have loved their products ever since. This company sells moisturizers that actually moisturize my hair, and not just sit on top and make it feel greasy. The prices are only slightly higher than drug store brands and you get much more quality for your money. The only downsides are they only sell their products online and because their products are handmade it can sometimes take a couple of weeks to receive your order, but once you get it, you won’t be disappointed.

My Favorites: Whipped Green Tea Butter, $7.00 for a 4 oz jar ~ Amala Crème Rinse Gentle Hair Cleanser, $11.50 for 16 oz bottle ~ Whipped Jelly (an all natural hair gel), $7.25 for a 4 oz jar.

JessiCurl (jessicurl.com)

About Them: Jessicurl was developed for naturally curly hair (but I’ve learned highly-textured hair can suffer from the same issues as relaxed hair—prone to breakage and dryness), created in California by a Curly Girl named Jessica, she developed these products because she could not find natural products that tamed her curls.

What I Think: Even though Jessicurl is not marketed toward relaxed hair at all, their products work great on my hair. (Just goes to show, just because a product is marketed a certain way doesn’t mean it won’t or will work for your hair) They have DA BEST Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment, it softens and moisturizes like nothing else I’ve tried. They also have great gentle cleansers. I’ve been using these products for so long I can’t even remember how I discovered them, I’m just glad I did. The pricing of these products may seem a bit high compared to store brands, but when I compared the price of their deep conditioner treatment (which I used to think was expensive) to that of other natural deep conditioners, it was one of the most reasonably priced. Jessicurl is available in stores and salons mostly on the West coast, they have a store locator on their website, but none of those locations are in my neck of the woods so I purchase online.

My Favorites: Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment, $12.75 for 4 oz jar ~ Hair Cleansing Cream, $12.75 for 8 oz bottle ~ Aloeba Daily Conditioner, $12.75 for 8 oz bottle.

Jane Carter Solution (janecartersolution.com)

About Them: Jane Carter is a professional hair stylist who developed her own line of natural hair products to use in her salon. Their website says: “Our products are specifically designed for dry hair. Including curly, wavy, straight, relaxed, natural hair, color treated and locked hair.”

What I Think: While I do have a few favorites from this product line, I am mostly highlighting it because it can be found in stores as opposed to just online. It is available at a variety of health food stores including Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods, I prefer to buy at Vitamin Shoppe as the prices tend to be lower there. I can’t remember how I discovered this line either, but the products I use have become essential to my hair care regimen.

My Favorites: Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner, $9.00 for 8 oz bottle ~ Wrap & Roll (a wrapping and setting foam –and its all natural!), $9.00 for 8 oz bottle ~ Nourish and Shine Moisturizing Cream --the website lists the price at $22.00 for a 4 oz jar, but I paid $18.00 at Vitamin Shoppe (this is one of the most expensive hair products I own, but it works so well to moisturize my hair and give it great shine).

Giovanni

About Them: Giovanni is one of the few natural hair care brands that can be found in stores, and not just health food stores—any store, such as Target and Wal-Mart. This line is also a lesson about marketing because these products are not marketed toward relaxed hair in any way; as a matter of fact they are not marketed toward ethnic hair at all. But when it comes to natural hair care products and because there are so few choice in actual everyday stores, the motto is don’t knock it 'til you try it!

What I Think: When I started on my healthy hair journey, this was one of the first natural product lines I tried, some of their shampoos are still too harsh for my taste, but I would be LOST without my Direct Leave-In Conditioner. Recently I tried sulfate free Smooth as Silk Moisturizing Shampoo for the first time, it has a slightly stronger cleanser than the Hairveda or Jessicurl products, but I actually wanted a stronger cleanser that day and it did not leave my hair feeling dry or stripped, as a matter it was clean and moisturized, just what I wanted.

Favorites: Direct Leave-In Conditioner, approx $7.00 for 8.5 oz bottle ~ Smooth as Silk Deep Moisture Shampoo, approx. $7 for 8.5 oz bottle.

There are many more natural product companies that I intend to list throughout the blog so stay tuned.
Have you tried any all-natural hair product lines? Leave a comment and let me know.


*Please note this post is 100% unpaid and unsponored by any of the companies listed. These recommendations are based soley on my personal opinion and expereince.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know anything about Brazilian keratin hair treatments?

MrsT said...

I don't really know a lot about BKT's but what I've heard about them isn't very good. I don't think I would ever personally try one, but I know people who've gotten good results. I'd just be worried about the long term side effects.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...